Sunday, August 7, 2011

Celebration Sunday

This week has been INSANELY busy. Our church had Vacation Bible School (of which I helped), I registered Ethan for school (YIKES!), we helped my Brother-In-Law & his family paint their new home, and we had an all church party at our local water park. I am so tired. Through the craziness of this week, we have had a lot of low moments in this house. First, deciding that Ethan was unable to handle going to VBS while I still was helping & watching his peers learn about Jesus. That was very hard for me. Second, Ethan went to the doctor, and we discovered that he had an eye infection, an ear infection, and strep throat. It's a good thing Ethan takes his medicine well because he has been taking a lot of it this week! Third, things were said to me this week about another child with autism that offended me deeply. I am still trying to work on my reaction to ignorant people. That's not even the right word because I didn't know any better before we had Ethan, and I would never say such things about a child. Insensitive people. But that's a whole different topic. And, finally, signing my baby up for daily preschool. I wouldn't be putting him in preschool so soon, but because of his autism, I feel it is crucial for his future to continue his intervention program...which means going to school.

But, today.......today has been a wonderful day! During church this morning, I could think of nothing else besides Ethan's growing need for support/aids....specifically at church. The last couple of Sundays I have gone home in tears..........vowing to find a new church...............a church that had a special needs program. But then I remember how much I love our church & the people. They are our family......and most of them literally are our family! Where else would Ethan find that much love? Nowhere. And I don't WANT to leave our church...it is my home. And, besides, had I talked to anyone about my concerns? About Ethan's needs? About my heartbreak? About my embarrassment? About our frustration? No to all. I keep it inside, playing like it is all okay, and come home in tears. How is anyone supposed to help unless they know there is a need?

OK...I decided I needed to talk to someone at church about getting Ethan support/aids at church. But who? Everyone already has such a full plate! And I don't want to single my child out anymore than he already is. It would be so much easier if we just stopped going. But that won't do Ethan any good...to just run from difficult situations.

Then, it hit me like a bolt of lightening. I am not the only parent of a special needs child. And if I am feeling that way, so are others. So I have been in touch with our lead pastor & our children's pastor, and we are starting a dialog. We are going to talk about these issues & how we can help these special families & these kiddos. And I have volunteered to be the coordinator. I can be the person a parent can come to! I understand! I know what they are feeling! And, as a former teacher, I have the best of both worlds....resourceful educator & passionate mama!

So, today, I am celebrating the beginning of overcoming an obstacle. Not only for Ethan & us, but for other families as well. It's not a lot, but it's a start. And I am so excited for this start....for this opportunity....for this chance of change. And tonight our congregation celebrated the end of our VBS, the week-long program that my child was unable to participate in due to his sensory issues. But Ethan was at the celebration. Our church rented the local water park, and Ethan was able to participate. And we had a great time & celebrated. But for us, it was not only because we had a successful VBS..........but because maybe next time.........maybe next time........there will be MORE children with special needs there...........including Ethan. And THAT is reason to celebrate. What a great day!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. This doesn't surprise me at all. You are the type of person to make stuff happen. You go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete