Monday, September 12, 2011

Happy Anniversary Ethan!!!

It was a year ago that Ethan began his journey into the world of Early Intervention. If you read "Our Story", there is a small portion telling about Ethan having difficulty watching our town's annual festival's parade. Well, this weekend marks the one year since that incident.....and one year since we were told about Early Intervention. I was very emotional as we were getting ready to go over to my in-laws house to watch the parade. I just kept remembering how awful last year was for Ethan, and I didn't want that to be his experience again. But I also wanted him to be able to participate in the fun as well. What was going to happen this year?

Corey & I talked about it beforehand, and came up with a little plan that may help Ethan's anxiety be less....and ours too.

1. We won't "hover" over Ethan. Corey & I would stay on opposite sides of the lawn, and we would both be in charge of our side of the yard. If Ethan was on my side, I would be responsible for keeping an eye on Ethan...making sure he doesn't go in the street, he plays well with the other kiddos, he doesn't run off, etc. We would give him his independence, but still be able to have some freedom ourselves.

2. We will bring his Sensory Survival Kit. This kit contained his usual things...suckers, bubbles, cars, chew things, etc, but this time we had a new item to add....sound-softening headphones. We usually bring his ear plugs that we use in the bath, but we really wanted him to start using this new headphones. They are easier for other people to help him with, they are a one-time purchase, and they are something that Ethan can control as well.

3. We will allow time to teach Ethan about the headphones. IF Ethan is showing signs of needing the headphones, we were going to try multiple times before we "gave up". This was the perfect "teachable moment", and we were going to take advantage of this loud experience.

Well....I'm happy to report that Ethan did AMAZING!!!!!!! Before the parade even started, he was playing with the other kids! HE HIMSELF walked over to a group of kids, and I saw him waving at them! Then he proceeded to play with them. IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!! I don't know what he was saying to them, if anything, because I was on the edge of the yard, but it was so amazing to see him initiating playtime with other kids! This is very rare for Ethan, and if he is getting the hang of socializing at his young age of three!!!???? He is well ahead of the game. AWESOME!

Then, the parade starts...first came the color guard with the flags....that is good....a nice quiet thing. He kept saying, "America Flag, America Flag!" So far so good. Then the police cars...this was good as well because he loves cars & knows to expect their sirens. However, I can already see that he is becoming more anxious....his is rising up the sensory overload scale. Next comes the High School Marching Band. This is where he lost it last year so I'm getting nervous & watching him closely. Luckily, he is with my mom. She is holding him & telling him what is coming. I can hear her telling him, "Look at the band! They are going to play loud music. Just like when you have music time with mommy at home. See the drums? Look at the trumpets!" And Ethan is doing WELL!!!!!! He does have his fingers in his ears, and he is on the porch instead of the street getting candy with the other kids......but he isn't crying, he isn't scared, he isn't panicking!!!!! YEAH!!!

So, now I think is the perfect time to try the headphones. We have already been playing with them & putting them on at home all week, so this isn't the first time he has be introduced to them....very important. So when I show them to him & ask if he wants them, he already knows what to do with them. He does resist by telling me no, but I put them on his head anyway. He feels them with his hands for a bit, but he NEVER takes them off. AND.....HE WATCHED THE WHOLE PARADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A couple of different times, he even made his way down to the street!!!!!!!! HALLELUIA!!!!!!!! It was so amazing....I think I cried all day! He sat with my mom, Corey's mom, my sister, some other kids, sat by some adults that he didn't know (I knew them), and was able to have some independence. It was a GREAT DAY!!!!! Below are some pictures.


The parade is starting! Ethan & my mom.

The noise is starting, too. We have taught him to cover his ears instead of screaming with things get too loud. I'm glad to see him using this trick. Now...let's try the headphones....

First time using our new sound-proof headphones in a loud environment.

Watching the parade with Corey's mom....doing good!!!!!
Me & my boy....enjoying the parade. What a blessing!

If it had not been for our dear friend expressing her concerns about Ethan, this moment would not have been possible. If it had not been for following through with the Early Intervention's recommendations, we would be watching the parade from inside. A LOT of work has happened since last year's parade, but it is moments like this that make it ALL worth it. And when I asked Ethan was his favorite part of the parade was....he told me the fire engine! What a great day! What a great kid!!!!!!!

1 comment: