Thursday, November 24, 2011

Day 6: Things I'm Thankful For - Autism Style

Although Thanksgiving is over, I am still continuing my week long Things I'm Thankful For - Autism Style. Today I am SO thankful for the man that I am fortunate to call my husband, Corey.

I am thankful for Corey in many ways. However, this is specifically in learning how to live with autism. So, I will be only talking about ways that I am grateful to have Corey as my spouse regarding this topic.

This man is amazing. Not only is he tolerant in dealing with his crazy wife (me), but he has strength & patience that I do not have. Every day, this man leaves for work before any of us are even awake so he can be home by 3pm. Being priviledged to have a great job, Corey is able to adjust his 8 hours....and he has chosen to work from 6am-2:30pm. This puts him home by 3pm. He does this every day in order to be home as much as he can with Ethan and me. Now, I know a lot of guys who would choose to sleep in later & be gone from the home as late as possible in order to avoid the craziness of raising kids. But not this man. And I am so thankful for this sacrifice.

Not only does he come home as early as he can, but EVERY DAY Corey starts playing with Ethan as soon as he comes home. Ethan knows that the moment Daddy walks in the door....it's wrestle time! And I am so thankful for that because this is something that Ethan's senses need (see sensory diet) yet I am unable to provide. I am not able to flip him, lift him, spin with him, etc. as much as Corey is able to do. And, to be honest, I do not have that innate wrestling ability that boys seem to have from birth. And this wrestling fun goes on for at least 1/2 an hour....more times than not, though, it goes longer....more like an hour. This also gives me a chance to clean up the house from the day & get dinner started. And because of this wrestle time, Ethan is usually able to sit at dinner table for longer periods of time.

Our evenings usually involve Corey helping someone in someway.....this is his nature. Either working on someone's car, working on a vinyl project, fixing a computer problem, helping a family member.....the list goes on & on. And Corey ALWAYS tries to involve Ethan as much as possible. He will think nothing of pausing his mowing to come do sidewalk chalk with Ethan or taking Ethan with him to run car related errands or playing cars while printing vinyl in his office. Corey is the king of inventing new games out of random things as well.....and Ethan LOVES it. Usually I have to continue the play the next morning while Corey is at work. It warms my heart that they have such a deep bond. I mean, you should see Ethan light up whenever Corey comes home. It's the most heart stirring thing I have ever seen.

And EVERY NIGHT, we have our bedtime routine. This has helped Ethan go to sleep quicker & have less meltdowns at bedtime....because he knows what to expect. So, our nightly routine is that Daddy does bath while I clean up the toys. Then I read books & sing with Ethan while Corey takes out the trash. Then Corey comes back in to pray & do a final good night kiss. EVERY NIGHT.

Corey is also learning all he can about autism as well. In January, he will be returning to school. One of his goals is to learn how to create iPad apps in order to develop more of them......for free. Currently, he is learning all he can about social stories and the pattern that has best helped children with autism. He is also volunteering at our church not only on the Mosaic Ministries Advisory Panel (special needs ministry), but he is also on the Children's Safety Committee. He is participating in a Men's Bible Study at work in order to keep his faith strong. He, too, has reached out to others in the autism community and is finding new ways to help Ethan. He created a online fundraising opportunity for others to donate funds to not only buy Ethan an iPad, but another boy who has autism as well. They raised enough money to buy 2 iPads, 2 stylus pens, and 2 protective frames. And in October, when he learned about Light It Up Blue, he immediately went out & bought a bunch of blue light bulbs.....even though the event isn't until April. He has also been very proactive in utilizing the resources provided to us by Easter Seals.

Corey is also VERY in tune to me & when I need a break. He is constantly encouraging me to take a break in the evenings.....go for a walk, go take a long bath, go get a cup of coffee with a friend, etc. And when I am so overwhelmed that I can't see straight, he is right there to take the reigns from me. (I am a bit of a control freak, so this is not an easy task for him.) He helps me with laundry, cleaning, dishes (ugh), finances/budgeting, planning, getting out the door on time, etc.

I am so thankful that not only do I have a spouse that I adore, but I have a true partner when it comes to parenting Ethan. He loves that little boy as much as I do, and we are both committed to raising him together. The divorce rate among couples with special needs children has been reported between 80% & 90%. When Ethan was 6 months old, we had him dedicated to the Lord in a ceremony at our church. Then, when Ethan was diagnosed with autism this May, we privately both recommitted ourselves to raising Ethan no matter what we faced as a family. I am so thankful that God brought this man into my life.....Ethan & I are so lucky to be his wife & child. Ethan would not be where he is....would not have made the progress he has made.....without Corey.

Oh yeah....one more thing. I am also thankful that my husband would prefer to stay home & play with Ethan on Black Friday. This way, me & my girl friends can go shopping for some great deals!!!!!! LOVE YOU, COREY!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment