Friday, December 2, 2011

Breakthrough!!!!

This past Thanksgiving, we went over to my sister's house with about 20 of our relatives. It was so much fun. But, as always, I was worried how Ethan would handle all the extra noise & commotion. And, once again, he blew me away with how well he did! He didn't sit for the meal nor did he eat the Thanksgiving food (not a big surprise), but he stayed in the room with all of noise & people....even requested puzzles & games from my sister. He did puzzles with my cousin, he did alphabet flashcards with Corey's mom, and probably did a whole bunch of other things that I am unaware of......he was great! After lunch, we got out Wii Dance 3, and had the music pretty loud. He commented several times about it being "really loud" & covered his ears, but after Corey's mom started playing with him towards the back of the room, he seemed to be just fine. He even played the Wii game with me for a short bit....it was awesome!!!!

However, at the end of the day, we were getting ready to leave.....and he didn't want to go home. He loves going to my sister's house. So....recipe for a meltdown: no nap, lots of new/commotion during the day, didn't eat much, and doing something he doesn't want to do.....it was just a matter of time. And then it started up.....

I was putting his coat & shoes on to go home, and he started hitting himself & saying, "You DO NOT want to go home with me"......his typical start to a meltdown. Honestly, I didn't do much to help him because he had done so well all day, and I figured that he needed this "release". So, all I said was, "It's okay Ethan". Then he started again, but this time he did something different.....instead of hitting himself......he clapped his hands.

HE CLAPPED HIS HANDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the replacement behavior or alternative that I have been trying to get him to do instead of hitting himself. He can still have a meltdown, and be upset, but without hurting himself. And he did it! And without me demonstrating it!!!!!

I was so excited that I immediately started showering him with praise....even though he was beginning to have a meltdown & I usually don't give any praise during those episodes. This must have confused him because he escaped his world for a second & locked eyes with me.....as if to say, "What did I do, Mom?" So, again I told him what he did & how wonderful it was that he clapped his hands during a meltdown....and then he repeated the action.....so I poured out more praise. It was so exciting that I started crying right there.....in front of the family that was remaining. My eyes were so blurry that my husband had to finish helping Ethan get his coat & shoes on.....it was an amazing moment. I got through to him. This was one of my favorite things about teaching, but to have that moment with my own child was beyond exciting. I got through to him....and I saw it realized in his eyes.

So, it has been over a week since that happened, and I haven't seen Ethan hit himself one time. Now, he will clap his hands, and say, "Soooooo, do not do that"......a Grover statement from his iPad book A Monster At The End Of This Book.

The meltdowns are going to happen, and I can't prevent them. BUT maybe now he won't be hurting himself! YEAH!!!!!!

Ethan putting together a 24 piece puzzle with my cousin.

Ethan & Grandma playing with ABC cards.

Ethan & Grandma dancing while.....
me & my cousins play Wii Dance 3...and yes...I'm singing too!

Me, my 2 cousins & my sister....we are really like sisters though. All of these girls & their families have been so interested, supportive, and encouraging as we are learning to live with autism. I love these girls!

1 comment: