Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Look Back at 2011

Every New Year's Eve, I get a little emotional. Not because I am dreading my upcoming New Year's Resolution, but because I look back over the past year & remember the good & bad times. And this New Year's Day was no different.


January 2011 - We began Occupational Therapy.....and our world was completely transformed by learning & discovering Ethan's Sensory Diet. During this month, we also started with a new Speech Therapist, and we all began to understand a little better HOW to help Ethan to communicate....and not just repeat what we said.


Ethan, how old are you?

January 2011 - After eating breakfast

February 2011 - We continued to take Ethan to his bi-weekly developmental playgroup, occupational therapy & speech therapy. Ethan continued to make excellent progress, and we began focusing on self-help skills at home.
February 2011 - Me & Ethan brushing our teeth....ignore my messy bathroom!


March 2011 - Ethan was becoming more & more "verbal". He was expressing his needs in words & not just in gestures. We had also been using the "brushing" technique in OT for a couple of weeks, and saw significant changes in Ethan's behavior. We were becoming more convinced that Ethan had Sensory Processing Disorder. Maybe this was the only issue? And not autism? Still debating it in my mind at this point.

March 2011 - The night we discovered that Ethan loved my foot bath. The water, the bubbles, the vibration, the sound....all calming for him....so now it's OUR foot bath.

April 2011 - We were preparing for our trip to the Autism clinic. We were filling out paperwork, taking videos, lining up babysitting, taking time off work.....and praying for the correct diagnosis. Ethan continued his therapies. Although I tried to relax, this month was filled with nervous anxiety....waiting for the day of the clinic. Meanwhile, we discovered that Ethan not only loved cars.....but NASCAR as well! So this month, Ethan attended his first dirt-track race. I contacted the new owner, and he sent us tickets in order for Ethan to attend & see if it was something that he could handle. So, Corey, his dad & Ethan (all huge car enthusiasts) went to the race, and the only time Ethan had a hard time....was when the cars STOPPED racing! Maybe next year will be better?!

April 2011 - Easter morning

April 2011 - Ethan at Peoria Speedway Track

May 2011 - This was the big month of the year. On May 4th, Ethan was officially diagnosed with Autism. However, during our consultation with the Easter Seals staff, we were told to continue doing what we were already doing. By the date of his diagnosis, Ethan had already been participating in a developmental playgroup for 7 months, speech therapy for 5 months, and occupational therapy for 4 months. Additional resources were made available to us, now that we were an Easter Seals family, but the only thing they wanted us to add was feeding therapy. On the way home from the clinic, I was calling every additional resource that was provided as well as suitable to Ethan's needs. A consultation with a feeding therapist was scheduled, orientation to the Easter Seals resource room was lined up, and our names were on the next available Easter Seals New Family - Autism Diagnosis class. The waiting was over & now it was time to be even more proactive in helping Ethan.

May 2011 - A couple of days before the clinic, we took Ethan bowling with our church. I thought he would hate all the noise, but he LOVED it! Here is Corey bowling with Ethan. (I don't think Corey liked me taking his picture!)

June 2011 - Ethan's 3rd Birthday!!!! We were so excited for our little boy's birthday, but turning three also meant "aging out" of his Early Intervention program. We had to say good-bye to all of his wonderful & loved teachers, therapists & amazing coordinator. The people that I had grown so fond of....the people who helped Ethan through his first steps.....will FOREVER hold a special place in my heart. Without them, Ethan wouldn't have made the progress he did in just those 8 short months. It was hard work for all of us, and I am eternally thankful to these amazing people. But this was not the end of his therapy....just this program. During this month, we also met with the public school district in order for them to assess Ethan's skills & needs. During this session, the teachers thought that Ethan would be best suited in a "regular ed" classroom. Soon after meeting with Ethan, they realized that he is very intelligent, but he needs to hear/see typical social interactions. I was over the moon. This would not have been the outcome had it not been for all of Ethan's (and our) hard work. So, on Ethan's 3rd birthday, not only did we celebrate our child turning another year older, but we rejoiced at all of the progress he had made during the months of intense therapy.

June 2011 - Ethan's 3rd birthday

Ethan's 1st Movie - Cars 2. He had removed his headphones, but still had his weighted lap toy.


June - Ethan meeting his first NASCAR driver.....#33 Jeff Burton!
 
July 2011 - Since school didn't start for another month, Ethan & I decided to take a break & enjoy summer vacation. We got a pool pass, and as long as we stayed away from the pool's speakers (LOUD music!), Ethan loved it. Although he still can't swim, he loves playing in the water...and I love seeing him so happy. We enjoyed lots of typical summer activities, and also attempted to start potty training. We thought it was perfect timing. However, it didn't go very well, and I was tempted to call Easter Seals for some ABA therapy in order to help us help Ethan understand this multi-step self-help skill. After listening to advice from others, I decided to hold off, and just give Ethan time & space.

July 2011 - This was before we had sound proofing headphones, so Ethan would wear ear plugs to loud events....like the fireworks. We used to sit inside our city's stadium, but now that Ethan has such a hard time with the loudness, we sit outside in the park & watch them. Corey & Ethan are waiting for the show to start.

Ethan & Corey swimming. He LOVES the water!

August 2011 - Ethan's first day of pre-school! I was a nervous wreck...and with good reason. The first couple of days of drop-off, it was awful. It was a lot of commotion & noise as well as a new environment. Even though we had practiced our morning routine & even our morning drive....telling Ethan that was his school & school is so much fun, etc,etc....he was a pool of meltdowns for the first several days. Eventually it all worked out, but I did a lot of stress eating during that first week of school! HA! But Ethan loves going to school, and even though he doesn't say it with words, I can tell that he adores his teachers & therapists.

August 2011 - Here is Ethan ready for his first day of preschool


September 2011 -We celebrated a big victory this month of sitting through our town's annual festival's parade! A year ago, he couldn't do this, and it was a very hard day for our family...but THIS YEAR, it was the anniversary of Ethan's first steps in getting the help he needed. You can read all about it at Happy Anniversary Ethan! This month was also the Dr. Temple Grandin Conference that my mom, husband & I attended. Meeting & listening to her was so remarkable......and I couldn't help but think that Ethan may be able to help others someday as well. We were also very overwhelmed by the generosity of our amazing family & friends & strangers as Ethan and another child diagnosed with autism each received an iPad2. This tool has been so amazing & has helped in ways that nothing else has been able to do. I firmly believe that the iPad2 has helped advance Ethan's understanding of what he finds difficult to understand.....social interactions, communication, abstract thinking, etc. This thing is such a blessing, and we are so thankful to all who helped. We also personally received additional funding to purchase Ethan specific therapy items...such as his sound proofing headphones, his trampoline, and other calming aids. We are so blessed!

September 2011 - Ethan & I watching our town's parade! I was so happy to have this moment with Ethan!!!!

Corey & I with Dr. Temple Grandin....unbelievable! She is amazing!


Ethan's first time with his iPad2. He loves it!


October 2011 - Another big victory was this month.....Ethan's school's Halloween festivities. All of the holidays in 2011 were filled with memories from 2010.....hard memories. In 2010, Ethan had such a difficult time participating in the fun & activities. So, as the holidays of 2011 approached, we were nervous....very nervous. How would he handle it this year? Would all of his therapies over the past year have made a difference? However, as we tip-toed into the first holiday of Halloween, we soon realized that this year was going to be MUCH different than last year......MUCH better!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can read all about that at A Truly Happy Halloween.

October 2011 - Steak-n-Shake's youngest employee!


November 2011 - Ethan still attends school every day for 2 hours where he also participates in occupational therapy & speech therapy. It has been so nice for me because I get to be just mom....not mom & therapist & teacher. Although, if you know me at all, you know that those other roles aren't really gone from my job description. But I don't feel like I have to be everything all the time...I have excellent help from his school, and I'm so thankful for them. But when Ethan tells me that he wants to cut out the Christmas tree that he just colored, and I know that this is a goal he is working on at school......you better believe that I FLEW to the crafting closet to grab those scissors!!!!!!!!

November 2011 - Ethan & Grandma playing on Thanksgiving

December 2011 - This month was full of FUN!!!!! We took full advantage of Ethan's excitement of Christmas, and ran with it! We completely made up for the last couple of Christmases and enjoyed everything! The 25 Days of Christmas kept us on track, and helped us teach Ethan about giving...not just getting. He loved each activity, and I loved watching the joy on his face as he gave gifts to others. This month, he also FINALLY showed interest in potty training! And, I am pleased to say that it is going VERY well! He has even been dry for the last 2 mornings! AWESOME!!!!!
 
December 2011 - Ethan opening gifts on Christmas Eve

Last year at this time, I was looking over the memories of 2010.....and to be completely honest, I was overcome with sadness. 2010 was a very hard year, and I didn't have much hope for 2011. But NOW, as I look back over 2011, I am overcome with JOY! Ethan has come SOOOOO far this year! It has been hard & a lot of blood, sweat & tears, but I am able to see that the victories FAR outweigh the struggles. Last year, at this time, if Ethan wanted a drink, he would bring me his cup & push it in my hand. With some encouragement, guidance, therapy & one memorable 3 hour stand off.......Ethan now asks for a drink with his words.....while making eye contact. That little boy just came to me and said, "I want mommy to find the Little King on Cars 2 iPad, please."..........this is a boy who wasn't forming a sentence a year ago & was basically only repeating things we would say.

As I look at 2011, I am filled with love, joy, and smiles.....so different from last year. And, as I think about what 2012 holds for us, I am hopeful & encouraged. I envision swimming lessons, breaking the night-time pacifier, celebrating his 4th birthday, participating (hopefully) in the Easter Seals summer preschool program, the end of a school year, the start of another one, more & more speech patterns developing, more & more writing & reading, more & more self-help skills, and so much more. I am very hopeful when I think not only about 2011, but Ethan's future in general.

2011 has been filled with Learning to Live with Autism...with the emphasis on LEARNING. While I will never stop learning about autism & what that looks like in Ethan specifically, I think 2012 will have a different focus. I think it will be more focused on the LIVING now that Ethan is able to do more than he has ever been able to do. 2012......Here we come!!!!!!

1 comment: