Monday, February 20, 2012

Hockey Game

I have talked before about how 2011 was focused mostly on LEARNING to Live with Autism. But through intense therapy, Ethan has been doing amazing & has overcome so many of his challenges. Not that we have stopped learning or that we are without new challenges, but I am hoping that 2012 is focused more on LIVING with autism.

I will never forget Dr. Temple Grandin saying, "You gotta stretch 'em." Just because Ethan has difficulty in social situations doesn't give us an excuse for keeping him home 24/7. In order for social settings to be easier for Ethan, he needs to be exposed to new situations over & over again. Even if that means, we walk in & walk out of a new place.....it's a place to start.

Well, a couple of weekends ago, I attended my 2 nephews' hockey game. They are preschool age, and seeing these little ones playing ice hockey is just ADORABLE! I decided that I would go by myself the first time....to see what the environment was like & what Ethan may need to endure this very loud activity.

Then, this past weekend, we ALL went.....Corey (my husband), Ethan & myself all dressed in warm clothes & headed to the hockey game. I am happy to report that Ethan made it through the entire 45 minutes!!!! He had a great time....climbing & walking around the bleachers, putting his face up to the protective plexiglass, and even cheering for his cousins! Then, the crowd cheered.....and even though Ethan was wearing his sound-proofing headphones, he immediately looked at me as his eyes began to fill with tears. Uh-Oh.........

So, I said to him, "That is called cheering. Is cheering loud or quiet?"

"Loud!" Ethan said....still panicking.

I then said to him, "Yes, cheering is loud, & that's okay!"

Then, he repeated that back to me, and I reaffirmed his statement. I could feel & see his nerves calming....and then he resumed playing. Every time the crowd cheered after that, he would look at me & say, "Cheering is loud, and that's okay." And I would reinforce his statement & compliment his calm behavior....and he would move on to the next thing.

At about 30 minutes, he began to ask to "go for a walk", but I was trying to "stretch him"....so I began to pull out my tools...a slow-color changing snowman ornament that Ethan received for Christmas, a sucker, and eventually, my smart phone where he looked at my pictures. That last one was unintentional, but it worked...so I just went with it. Here is a video of Ethan at the game....
  

He is cheering, "Go Hunter Go! Go Owen Go!"
At the end, he says, "Now you can have the phone"....
and that's how he ended up playing with my smart phone.


After the hockey game, some of our family went to Culver's to get some dinner. Ethan was so excited because he loves to "go in" to restaurants (instead of driving thru...) He ordered his standard meal...chicken nuggets & french fries...and sat at the table with the rest of family. Eventually, though, he took his color-changing snowman, and retreated to under the table. Under the table is quieter & dimmer lighting, so this told me that he was about done. And sure enough, I asked him if he wanted to go play at his cousin's house....and he just kept saying, "No. Home? Home? Home? Home?....." So, we took him home.

But I think he did amazing!!! He didn't sleep at nap time (no surprise), and both of these events were very out of the ordinary & LOUD! So, I am one proud mama right now!!!!! Great job, Ethan!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I love this post!! Celebrating you, Ethan - way to go buddy! So amazed to think of all the times you have chosen to "stretch" him when it would have been easier to stay home - bravo guys! When you see with your own eyes, Ethan enjoying something that is a "stretch", it must be a motivation like no other. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete