Friday, March 30, 2012

Sensory Room Progress....or not....

Due to the amazing weather we have been experiencing, we have been spending A LOT of time outside. Bike riding, walking, jumping on the big trampoline, swinging, sliding, coloring with chalk, kicking a ball, and so on. LOTS of moving & heavy work....the whole point of me setting up a INDOOR play room. In this sensory focused room, I envisioned us rollings on scooters, swinging on indoor swing, animal walking through sensory stimulating paths, crashing on a crash pad corner, and lots of messy tactile activities. BUT....we have found a couple of glitches in the last couple of weeks. We were told when we bought this house that the water damage to the walls was due to a gutter related issue, and it had been fixed. However, as the paneling & such has come down, we have found that to not be the case. And, I have been convinced by my husband & others, that it would be pointless to finish the basement (where the playroom will be) without first fixing these issues. In the words of Ethan, "I'm so sad."

So, we have been told that the best thing to do next will be to dig around the outside of our basement walls & seal the walls. Boo. So, that will be what is next for our play room...an outdoor project for my husband. And since he has gone back to school, this will more than likely have to wait until his semester has finished.

This is very disappointing to me, but then I realized that it has been nice outside, so we can do most of the needed therapy things outdoors! And, I am hoping to enroll Ethan into at least one summer program that will help him burn off his mounds of energy. So, I guess the basement will have to wait until the fall.

Until then, I can focus on making/finding supplies for the playroom. And, to help ease the blow of disappointment, my husband has given me the green light on some home improvement projects upstairs. I love how well he knows me. :0) I'm not going to pretend that I'm not upset that the playroom won't be ready until next school year.....it stinks! But, I'm going to try to focus on what we can do OUTSIDE, and enjoy this amazing weather.





No comments:

Post a Comment