Monday, April 2, 2012

Light It Up Blue 2012

IT'S HERE! TODAY'S THE DAY! 



Today is our first time to participate in Autism Speaks Light It Up Blue campaign to spread autism awareness. We have already changed our light bulbs, too. In fact, we had to replace our outdoor porch light because a bird decided to take up residency in it....crushing the existing bulb & the glass. (I mean, come on, bird. We have 5 trees in our yard & a whole tree line in the back of the property....geesh!) I can't wait to light the outside of our home blue tonight!

Our family is also wearing blue today, we are wearing our Autism Speaks wristbands, my husband has a blue flame-less candle for his desk at work, I've changed my blog to be blue, and we passed out those blue gift baskets awhile back for our family to be able to participate as well. 

I realize that today (and the month of April) is about spreading autism awareness, but to be honest, it's a little more than that for me. Today, I am celebrating my son. It's like his birthday. Each time his birthday rolls around, we celebrate Ethan. Not only do we celebrate the day that he came into our lives, but we rejoice in the fact that we all "made it" another year. It's like our parenting anniversary. New challenges arrive each year, and the birthday milestone is a victory for us as a family. Today is similar to Ethan's birthday. Today we are celebrating one specific part of Ethan.....his autism. We are also thankful that we "made it" through our first year as a family living with autism. So, as I see the blue light filtering in from outside, I am overwhelmed with emotions as I think about all that this small blue light bulb means to me & my family.  It means victory.

So.....are you participating in Light It Up Blue today? If so, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!!! :0)

Send me your pictures or tell me what you are doing!

You can do this several ways......

1. Email me through this blog at imjwo80@gmail.com

2. Post your pictures &or stories on our facebook page. It's http://www.facebook.com/courageandcoffee. You will need to "LIKE" us first & then post your pictures or stories. (PS....if you can't see our posts, you will need to check your settings. Here is a link to the "how-to"... http://www.facebook.com/help/?faq=188147907920585.)

3. Comment on this blog posting at the bottom.

I can't wait to see what everyone is doing today!!!!!!!!! 
Happy Light It Up Blue Day!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment