Thursday, May 24, 2012

Inspired for DIY Summer OT!!!!

It has been CRAZY around here for the last 2 weeks. Ethan & I came down with strep throat last week, we had a death in the family, I have been helping my mom prepare to move my only living grandparent to a nursing home in our town, as well as doing our version of "Clean House" at her own house, and the end of school is nearing......we we are so close I can taste it!!!! It has been BUSY, BUSY, BUSY around here!

When I become overwhelmed with my to-do list, I often zone out to my favorite websites, and occasionally I will find a new favorite....AND I HAVE A NEW FAVORITE TODAY!!!!!

After a brief conversation with Ethan's current Occupational Therapist today (see suggested activities for Ethan below), I became re-inspired to search for new OT activities to do this summer. Ethan & I have become a bit bored with our current games, so I began searching PINTEREST.com (one of my favorite websites for zoning out). I came across this article 40 WAYS TO DO SENSORY PLAY. It is a short & concise list, and ALL kiddos will love it! It would be great to do these things when the long summer days begin to lead to bored children!

40 Ways to Do Sensory Play

They have so many other articles and ideas that would AWESOME for summer play! So...check out my new favorite website, Make, Do & Friend.com!



Suggested OT Activities to do At Home With Ethan This Summer! (Just so I don't forget!!!)

1. Weighted pencil (do it yourself...click here for example.)
2. Thicker writing utensils
3. Continue to encourage coloring. Use Wikki Stix & have him fill in the created shape.
4. Continue to correct his pencil grasp. Correct his fingers to use pointer & middle finger with his thumb. Here is a great article & visual aid for what we are working towards.
5. The other fingers need to fold under. Have him hold a penny or small object in these fingers to help.
6. When working on cutting, place Ethan on his tummy. It stabilizes the muscles needed for this task.
7. Place sandpaper under coloring pages in order to give Ethan the sensory feedback he needs.
8. He is starting to be able to button large buttons on his own! WOO-HOO!!!!!

Thank you, Mrs. T! We are so grateful to have had you as our OT this year! We will miss you!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment