Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Walk With Me Success! Part 2

Overall, the Easter Seals Walk With Me event was....in a word.....

AMAZING!

It was so fantastic to see so many "special needs cheerleaders" in one place. I overheard on the intercom system that our event had over 900 participants, and we raised over $51,000!!!!! How great!!! Everywhere I looked, I saw faces of compassion & love, and that isn't always the case for our family. We were hearing words of support & stories of inspiration. Most of our family was there. Many of our friends came as well. It was very overwhelming to this mama.

I was having a great time. As much as my guys would NOT socialize, that's how much I enjoy it. I loved meeting so many new people as well as being surrounded by a lot of our personal support system. I never cried through the entire thing. I was just grinning from ear to ear. So many times, we don't quite fit in.......but not this day. On this one day, Ethan was a ROCK STAR, and I was so thrilled for him!

After it was mostly over, and our team was saying their goodbyes, I sat down on a bench with Ethan as we looked across the baseball stadium. That's when it hit me. Waves of tears & emotion came. Sitting there with my child who has stolen my heart, I was overcome with the amount of support that had just been demonstrated in actual walking. These family & friends were not just saying they were supporting us, they were physically doing it. Not just talking the talk, but walking the walk. And the support from the Easter Seals organization was unbelievable. And I instantly connected with the other Easter Seals families that I met that day.

Living with autism is not the easiest thing to do, and there are some moments when it seems like we won't get through it. But then I remind myself of how much Ethan has developed & grown since his diagnosis. I replay in my mind the victories that I have witnessed with my own eyes. And I imagine each of you is with me, saying your words of encouragement & seeing your kind faces. And I gotta say......this Easter Seals Walk With Me event is gonna be a day that I bring to my mind many times. This day will help take me through any tough times ahead. And it's because of you.

And I want to thank every single one of you for your support, your donations, and your friendships. It has meant so much to me & my family and to Easter Seals as well. More than you will ever truly know. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Thank you for supporting our family! ~Jessica, Ethan & Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment