Thursday, May 23, 2013

"It's the End of An Era"

This is a quote from my most favorite TV show of all time....FRIENDS. And that is all that is running through my mind tonight. 

http://www.popscreen.com
I just got home from watching some of my former Kindergarten students graduate from 8th grade. I haven't seen most of them since Kindergarten because that was my last year of teaching. I couldn't help but think back.....who was the talker of the class, who was the class clown, who was the shy girl, and so on. Some of them gave speeches during the ceremony as well. Their writing & speaking blew me away. These kids have grown up....almost over night, in my opinion....and I was one proud teacher.

Then, this Sunday, Corey's youngest brother...who we lovingly call "our first child" because was a constant companion during our dating & early married life...will be graduating from High School! Oh man....I'm gonna need more tissues.


AND....Tomorrow is Ethan's last day of Preschool. Two years we have been with these teachers & classmates. Two years of dropping Ethan off with the same sets of parents doing the same thing. His first "school" building. Where he learned to walk in a line, drink from a drinking fountain, raise his hand to talk (well...I think we are still working on that one!), and sooooo many other firsts happened at this location. Ethan was loved here. Our family was loved here. And I am REALLY gonna miss the amazing staff & teachers. At home, I lovingly call these people my "co-workers." Before this school, I was doing much of the work at home....as my job as stay-at-home mom. Then, we entered our school's early intervention preschool program, and I found daily help. Daily care & concern & love & support & education for my son. I know for a fact that these teachers have cried over & prayed for my son. How can you not begin to treasure these people. These angels that are in your life day after day. 

It has been deemed "FUN DAY" tomorrow with lots of fun activities & events for the students and their families to participate. I will be taking my "good" camera & taking TONS of pictures. (Get ready for it, Ethan.) I want to capture this last day as much as I can, so Ethan will always remember his days at his "first" school. He has been looking forward to being a Kindergardener for the last month....when we started a paper chain count down. Tonight I asked him if he was going to miss his teachers. He said yes. I asked him if he was going to miss his friends. He said yes. Tonight when he prayed, he asked told Jesus that tomorrow was his last day of preschool, and then he was going to be a big Kindergartener. He also told God that he was going to go to a new school and have some new friends to play with.....what a great way to look at it, Ethan.

So, yea...I'm sad. In fact, I'm a crying mess. It IS the end of an era, but I must remind myself that there is a new chapter ahead. New stories to write & new friends to meet. I'm thrilled that my kiddo is going to a general ed room along with an aide for him.....an aide that is currently in his Preschool room! YEAH! His current OT is going with him as well. YEAH! Ethan has also "graduated" from speech! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!! That happened quite a few weeks ago, and I am STILL on cloud nine about that one!

Right after Ethan turned two, we had him tested for developmental delays. He failed 7 out of 8 tests. The only one he passed was his hearing test, and I think that is only because we had put tubes in months earlier which removed a lot of fluid. He required OT, PT, Speech, and Developmental Play Group to help with social skills. 

..........(pause for me to wipe my tears so I can see my computer screen......I'm so emotional!)..........And now..........almost 3 years & a LOT of hard work later.........and my baby boy is going to Kindergarten. No PT, no Speech, and very little OT required. As for his social development........I have a little story to tell you about today.

Ethan & I parked our van at school, and we were getting out of the van. From across the parking lot, I hear someone call, "ETHAN!!!" We turn & there is one of Ethan's classmates. I'll call him Tyler. Ethan yells back, "Hi Tyler!" I then ask Ethan if he wants to wait for Tyler. He says, "Yes I do!" As Tyler approaches, Ethan lets go of my hand & begins to walk into class.....side by side with Tyler. Tyler says hi. Ethan says hi. Then Ethan asks, "How are you today, Tyler."

I just about did a cartwheel right then & there.

Once inside the school, another classmate excitedly calls out, "Ethan, Ethan! Hi!!!" Ethan says hi back to his classmate.Then the teacher calls for their class to line up. Ethan & these two boys giggle & run up to get in line together. 

It was the most beautiful thing. PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!! Miracles.....true miracles that are happening before my eyes. Things that I have cried myself to sleep worrying about & calling out to God about....they are unfolding in his life. Amazing.

So, you can see why I have become attached to this school & it's people. But even though we will be gone, I will never forget. Never. It reminds me of of the scripture.  "But Mary (mother of Jesus) treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." Luke 2:19

THANK YOU TO ALL OF ETHAN'S TEACHERS & THERAPISTS AT HIS PRESCHOOL. YOU HAVE CHANGED OUR LIFE IN WAYS YOU NOR I MAY FULLY UNDERSTAND. WE ARE FOREVER GRATEFUL FOR ALL YOU HAVE DONE & WILL CONTINUE TO DO FOR OTHERS. PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH WITH US! WE HAVE GROWN TO LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!! GOD BLESS YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment